The Laughlin Memorial Hospital Volunteer Program is comprised of a highly dedicated organized group of men, women, and students. These caring individuals contribute their time, energy, and talents to relieve the hospital's professional personnel of nonprofessional hospital functions. The Volunteer Program is organized under the direction the Laughlin Memorial Hospital Social Services Department.
A person wishing to become a volunteer will be asked to complete an application, background check and furnish 2 references. All volunteers are required to complete a hospital orientation program and a physical examination furnished "free of charge" by the hospital. Students must have completed their freshman year in high school prior to making an application to the program.
The hospital assists volunteers in arranging a time schedule that will adequately fit their personal schedules. Volunteers commit themselves to working a scheduled number of hours per day or week, but in some instances schedules may vary based upon hospital needs. Each adult volunteer is required to serve 8 hours per month or 96 hours per year unless the volunteer has an excused absence, approved by the Director of Volunteer/Social Services.
While on duty, all female volunteers are required to wear cherry red uniforms and white shoes. Volunteers are allowed to choose from selection of styles. Volunteers are required to purchase their own uniforms. Candy stripers (student volunteers) are required to wear red and white striped uniforms. Male volunteers are required to wear dark slacks, white shirts, and burgundy vest. Comfortable white tennis shoes or leather shoes required.
Laughlin Volunteers raise funds for the hospital through the operation of the Gift Shop, fundraisers, and through the payment of annual dues. All funds raised are contributed to the hospital for the purchase of needed equipment and supplies or to promote services provided by the hospital.
Patient Care Opportunities
- Nursing Units - providing support to the nursing staff in delivery of supplies, lab work, and records to other areas of the hospital as well as transporting patients.
- Dietary - delivering menus for the following days' selection of meals and assisting patients in completing their menus.
- Admissions - assisting with admission protocol and transporting patients to their rooms.
- Emergency Room - assisting in the reception area and aiding nursing staff with errands to other hospital departments.
- Front Desk - greeting guests and answering questions as well as delivering mail and flowers to patients.
- Volunteers Library - accepting donations of books and magazines and taking the book cart and/or books and magazines to the patients' rooms for selection of reading material.
Non-Patient Care Opportunities
- Gift Shop - serving as a salesperson, buyer, or flower arranger.
- Human Resources - assisting in light clerical duties and conducting hospital school tours.
- Physical Therapy - assisting with clerical duties as well as assisting in answering the phone, restocking shelves, and transporting light equipment to treatment areas.
- Lab - assisting with clerical duties.
- Radiology - providing assistance to clerical staff.
- Medical Records - providing assistance to clerical staff.
- Cardiopulmonary Services - providing assistance to clerical staff.
- Volunteers Office - providing clerical assistance to Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteer Section.
- Foundation Department - providing clerical assistance to Department.
- Accounting Department - providing clerical assistance to clerical staff.
Laughlin Volunteers are eligible for a free meal in the cafeteria on the volunteer's scheduled workday. The initial physical examination is provided by the hospital. These benefits, however, are small compared to the self-fulfillment one receives in becoming an active member of this worthwhile organization.
Where To Apply
Applications may be made through the Human Resources Department at Laughlin Memorial Hospital on the first floor. Human Resources office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Laughlin Hospital Gift Shop is operated by the Volunteers. All proceeds support the Hospital and it's community. This unique shop offers silk floral arrangements, wreaths, balloons, baby clothing, baby plush, costume jewelry and gifts for that someone hard to please. The volunteers are always happy to take a gift to the patient from the Gift Shop. The Laughlin Gift Shop hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Gift Shop is staffed with committed volunteers. The need for volunteers is never ending. If there is an interest in the Gift Shop, call Volunteer Services at (423) 787-5069.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAM BROCHURE